Wednesday, July 2, 2008

So where do you actually start?

How do you actually start something like this? It's a rhetorical question of course, but it's still a quandary. You can either come across as being a complete idiot, akin to the vapid George Bush but with out thousands of people dying as a result, being full of yourself, have your head up your ass (but there I go about Bush again) or being so full of anger that you really need to pay someone for your therapy instead of subjecting lots of innocent people to read it instead....."lots of people"....OK, so already I have to pull my head out of my ass and be real. See, it's difficult to get this baby moving.

So, you get a particular stage in life, far quicker than you ever thought possible and wonder how did it go by so fast. Who'd have thought your parents were correct with that advice! Ah, but we knew better at 18 didn't we. Anyway,  yesterday was the 13th anniversary of meeting my wife. 13 years. Bloody hell that went fast. You take a lot for granted in your 20's and maybe even in your 30's too. Then you hit 40 and your body decides it's payback time for taking it for granted for soooo long. You find yourself having to work out harder to stay in shape and hurt more and for longer in the process. The benefit of this is that most people my age don't have the time or inclination to work out at all, let alone hard....so many become the flabby girly men with those fat wobbling asses we love to watch so much in the supermarkets and on TV reports ...that are reporting how fat we are becoming. So, working out, for all it's pain, is a good thing. And with my instructors too, it's quite an entertaining experience. Bonus! Then you get a food allergy, or if you're lucky like me, 2 for the price of 1. My wife's theory is that the majority of us have them, but they go undiagnosed and it's the cause of lots of illnesses. After my allergy to eggs and milk (great combination eh. No more cakes or chocolate!) was discovered and I started to skip those foods completely, I dropped 18 pounds with little effort, although there was a great deal of grumbling going on of course at my cold turkey on chocolate. I feel better, certainly look better, but still do get occasional acid reflux if I'm exposed to too much of either. Now that really sucks. Your body, once relieved of the constant stress of being exposed to these nasty substances, gets fussy and throws a temper tantrum at even the slightest exposure. Now that just isn't fair! Come on stomach, give me a break here. I'm praying my esophagus can hang in there another 50 years + while I'm having so much fun otherwise. My wife has recently, meaning 18 months ago, discovered yoga. She's in far better shape than she's ever been, but has yet to reap the rewards of increased energy. She says doing yoga takes it all out of her. Huh, I never thought of that one. I've got my fingers crossed that those benefits appear sometime before we're 90. 

So there are some of my thoughts on the unfortunate by product of living: aging. However, life has turned out to be pretty damn good and you may as well look trim and feel fit while enjoying it. The bonus is increasing your chances of living a little longer too. That can't be bad.

No comments: