Sunday, July 26, 2009

Isn't California amazing.

Today, we were in the supermarket. This seems rather mundane and not usually something worth writing about. However, this is Silicon Valley, California, so it's a little different. So I'm a pasty white Caucasian and my Mrs. is Asian. We're going to a Chinese supermarket, so she can find specific fruits. The supermarket is chock full of Chinese and a few Indians, and yes 1 pasty white boy, me. (Usually there's a few white husbands in tow, but today there was just me). The staff are all Mexican and are speaking Spanish to each other and English to the customers. The children of the Chinese immigrants are all speaking English with the Californian twang and the parents are speaking it with various degrees of accent. Here we are in the USA, in a Chinese supermarket with Hispanic staff. Now if that isn't a melting pot, I don't know what is!

Funnily enough, all the stereotypes do also exist I'm afraid. The Chinese are still bad drivers and are a big danger when in control of a supermarket trolley. This is no joke when confined to narrow aisles. They'll also happily block an aisle with their trolley and walk away without thinking anything about it. Makes it all the more entertaining. I'm told to keep quiet and not get angry when this happens. I guess we know who's the boss in this household, especially on home(ish) turf!

No comments: